There are many new and exciting fabric options available for outdoor umbrellas on the market today including plastic, cotton, vinyl, polyester, oefin and solution dyed acrylics. Your decision on a specific fabric type will establish the durability and lasting attractiveness of your patio or market umbrella and can affect the cost. Consider how often you may be using the umbrella as well as whether you are going to store with a cover when deciding how much you would like to spend.
General information about fabric offerings in order of strength and quality:
- 100% 8 to 9.5 ounce (or more) solution-dyed acrylic fabric with locked-in colors.
- Sunbrella offers both furniture grade and marine grade acrylic fabrics. Furniture grade is usually a softer feel for cushions, while marine grade is usually thicker and a little rougher on the skin for awnings and commercial umbrellas.
- Sunbrella fabrics will stands up to sun, wind, and rain and outdoor environment without fading, retaining its original beauty for years longer then any other type of fabric on the market.
- Mildew generally will not grow on Sunbrella fabrics as long as there is no basic organic matter on the umbrella cover.
- Sunbrella umbrella fabrics have been time tested and proven effective to give up to 98% UV protection from the sun and have been given the “Seal of Recommendation” by The Skin Cancer Foundation, an international organization dedicated to the prevention of skin cancer.
- Sunbrella offers a Three-year warranty against fading.
- 8 oz solution-dyed fabric.
- High density, light weight woven fabric.
- Holds bright colors well and resists fading better then polyester
- Very durable, easy to clean, stain and abrasion resistant.
- Typically has one-year warranty against fading.
- 4 oz -6oz poly is processed for good strength, general uniform quality.
- Lighter beige and natural tones typically hold color better then, reds, black or maroon, or blues
- Comparable to cotton in general flexibility, but stronger and with better resistance to mold and mildew.
- The soft spun braid of the polyester is the highest strength S-Braid available.
- Holds color up to 50% longer than most other synthetic fabrics.
There is a misunderstanding in the consumer world regarding patio umbrellas with Sunbrella fabrics. The vast majority of people refer to and umbrella with Sunbrella fabric as a Sunbrella umbrella. However, Sunbrella is only a fabric that is manufactured by a company named Glen Raven Mills, who manufactures many types of fabrics including, furniture grade fabrics, marine grade fabrics, awning fabrics, and specialty fabrics with graphics. Sunbrella fabric is highly regarded as premium quality outdoor fabric in the world and is the recognized leader in the industry. If you are interested in purchasing a patio umbrella or outdoor cushions for your backyard, patio or pool area, I highly recommend considering Sunbrella fabrics. With hundreds of outdoor fabric choices to choose from and a 3 year fade warrantee, you will not be disappointed.